5.19.2010

Fabric Stiffener Tutorial

Would you believe that Kim Kesti and I are on the same page? Well, we were both thinking about using stiffener with fabric to make it easier to cut and more structured. She posted about it here. This is my first "Tutorial" so be nice about the rough edges. I actually decided to create a tutorial after I had started the project so here it goes...

Pictures are in order from left to right:

1. I suggest you use throw away storage containers for this because the watered down Mod Podge will adhere to the walls of your container. Realized this after I used a nicer storage container.  (I also dipped the white panel to give it some texture on the card.)


2. I used a variety of dies to cut my flower shapes. I backed the fabric with kraft card stock to make it easier to cut in the Cuttlebug. Plus, I can use those shapes later so no waste. (Kim used the stiffener to make using the dies with fabric easier. Why didn't I think of that?!)

3. Once you cut the shapes, dip them in the diluted Mod Podge and shape them by gathering in the center and clipping with a clothes pin. I know I could use a few pictures here demonstrating this process. I'll do better next time.

4. I experimented with creating rosettes and bunting, too. 

5. I cut strips of fabric, dipped the strips in the mixture and then rolled the strips into balls and secured them with straight pins while they dried to create centers for the flowers. 

6. Voila, finished flowers.

Things I learned:
Already told you about the mixture container. When I made the mixture, I added too much water, so I had to repeatedly dip the fabric to achieve the level of structure I wanted. Next time, I would decrease the amount of water so I had a more dense mixture. Keep your mixture stirred, the Mod Podge settles on the bottom. Wear gloves, the mixture will adhere to your nails.



Thanks for stopping by and checking out my tutorial. I'd love to hear from you so leave a comment or ask a question. 

Have a great day!

7 comments:

  1. This is too fun! Im going to have to try this! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently experimented with using Modge podge to stiffen, of all things a toilet paper roll.
    I made a fabric cuff out of it.
    Check it out.
    creationsbyladeeda.blogspot.com
    That is a beautiful handmade card.
    Glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what great ideas, to use mod podge and the laundry clip thingies. found you through tweeter, through Amy at Mod Podge Rocks. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for explaining how you made your stiff flowers. Definitely will be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome tutorial!!!!! love love love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used Mod Podge Fabric and it came out great. Thanks for this AWESOME tutorial!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out this post. Hope you have a great day!