8.18.2010

Peachy goodness



A few weeks ago, I had the good fortune to drive through middle Georgia on my way home from Calloway Gardens.  If you did not know, this is where the concept of Georgia Peach was born. Middle Georgia counties produce the sweetest, juiciest, most delicious peaches in the whole wide world. Argue if you like, but I will not change my opinion. I stopped at Taylor Orchards to grab a bag of peaches and some homemade peach ice cream. OK, I stopped for the ice cream and happened to pick up a bag of peaches. I should have gotten two bags. Ultimately, they ended up in a batch of peach butter. I did save one to enjoy just plain and simple. SO Delicious! 
I used the slow cooker like I did for the blueberry butter I made earlier this summer. Here is the recipe:

15 good size peaches
1 1/2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Splenda Blend
1 cup Honey

Blanch and peel the peaches, cut peaches into smaller chunks. Fill slow cooker and set it on low. Add spices and sweeteners. Cover the slow cooker but keep the lid raised by placing a spoon on the rim. The cooking process takes form 6 to 12 hours. When it butter reaches the desired consistency then you are done. You can use a whisk, potato masher or hand-held blender to smooth out the butter. Process in a water bath and let cool. 

My house smelled great while this was cooking. Yankee Candle should make this into a candle scent. Everybody is getting butters and preserves for the holidays! Just need to work on my cute packaging. 

Happy Day!

3 comments:

  1. Great Recipe! I'm hosting Canning Week next week on my blog. I'd love to have you join us!
    http://messhalltobistro.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so delicious, I just may have to make some myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy crap that looks DELICIOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out this post. Hope you have a great day!